This Virtual College course has been created to explore areas such as:
- Electrical Conductivity
- Electrical Insulation
- Thermoplastic and Thermosetting
Having completed the course learners will be able to recognise common engineering materials by their appearance and other properties. They will be able to recognise common defects and be able to explain the use of a material marking and coding system.
On completion of this course learners will:
- Identify common engineering materials by their physical appearance
- Detect common defects in engineering materials
- Classify the difference types of engineering materials
- Recognise the forms in which engineering materials may be obtained
- The properties of common materials
- Use the system of material marking/coding
- Identify the type, form and size of material required from information
- Learners are encouraged to consider how they could apply their learning to their own work situations.
- Learning objectives
- Properties of engineering materials
- Classification of material
- Material appearances, properties and applications
- Typical defects that may be present
- System of identification
- Abbreviations used on drawings
The content of this course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like, and there is no limit on how long you can take to do the course.
This course is suitable for those individuals that work with, or provide support for the engineering sector and organisations.
This training will provide an alternative route to traditional face-to-face delivery, creating more flexibility for employers/organisations within an engineering environment.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course